Dancing Dove Creations

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Paint Along Step 4


My daughter ended up taking and extra long nap today, so after step 3 had sat on the easel for a while and I had walked by and looked at it several times I finally had some idea of what I wanted to do for step 4. I figured I should take advantage of her sleepiness while I could!

Step 4 was using a spray bottle and some sort of mask/stencils to add a new layer to our paintings. I formed chenille stems into more curlies and then sprayed Golden fluid acrylic paint in Pyrrole Red over them with a recycled travel size hair spray bottle. I also used a piece of paper towel torn into the shape of a wide triangle to mask the blue/black swirlies during the first spraying, then I removed the paper towel and the chenille stem shapes and sprayed another very light layer of red over the area.

It looks even more unfinished at this stage than at any of the previous stages to me. It has the *potential* to be a finished painting but it isn't one yet. This is where it usually gets tricky. In the earlier stages I can, for the most part, go hog wild and work whatever I do into a painting, but as I start to get closer to a finished piece I have to reign in my enthusiasm a bit and really think through each addition before committing to it. Too much of this or too little of that can make or break the painting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home