Dancing Dove Creations

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Egyptian Altered Puzzle Piece


Leaving my blog with pictures of cards I didn't like at the top left me feeling slightly depressed, so I decided to add another post with something I *do* like. I have been trying to hold off on posting all of these altered puzzle pieces because they haven't been swapped out yet, but I was so pleased with this one. It's made with layers of hand made paper, parchment with burnt edges, the mummy photo and goldrite (one of my favorite "embellishments").

One of the reasons I like this piece so much is that it is more "me" than a lot of the things I do. I'm generally a very positive, optimistic, "white lighter" kind of person; but I also have a life long fascination with many things that some people would consider "dark". Some people who only know one side of me are shocked when they discover the other, but I personally don't see those two sides of me as being incompatible. As a matter of fact, I think they are quite complimentary and create balance. When you think about it, life and death are merely two sides of the same coin. There is death and darkness in life, just as there is life and light in the midst of death and darkness. Many of the swaps I do are on lists that, for the most part, would not appreciate my darker side so I don't often get to show it, but the group I created this for is much more open to "darker" themes. Though we don't do nearly as many swaps on that list I really throw myself into the ones we do do because it creates that sense of balance in my art that is otherwise lacking.

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Ren Allen said...

"When you think about it, life and death are merely two sides of the same coin. There is death and darkness in life, just as there is life and light in the midst of death and darkness."

You speak to my soul!!:) I totally agree. I also have a fascination with death/dying and other "dark" topics. It's all the Yin Yang of life. I feel that my art can use a dose of darkness sometimes....there's a raw edginess to that, you just can't get with fairies and butterflies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home