Dancing Dove Creations

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Hemp Happy


























I've been making hemp jewelry again. How to make the knots came back to me pretty quickly, but it took me a while to get the tension right again. (Having a toddler pulling on the strands as I'm working doesn't help, I'm sure! LOL) These are a few of the first pieces that I made. Well, *this* time anyway. I've made macramé jewelry in the past. I actually first learned some of the knots when I was just a kid - around 8 or so. I should take a pic of the first macramé bracelet that I still have and wear! The thing is close to 30 years old and still going strong. I started making macramé stuff again about 10 years ago but all of my stuff got packed away when we were selling our old house and it is still sitting in a storage box somewhere. I decided to make a hemp necklace for myself because I joined a bead swap on the OddArts list (we're making sets of beads to swap) and wanted to be able to make some jewelry with some of those yummy beads I'm going to get. I had only planned on refreshing my memory in order to make a little something for myself, but I enjoyed doing it so much that I just kept playing. The "new" colored hemp (new to me anyway) is so nice! When I was doing this before I was pretty much limited to natural colors. If I wanted to do a colored piece, I usually used cotton macramé cord. It never turned out as defined though. (I still have one of those necklaces lying around somewhere. I think it's in my daughter's dress up box.) These were all test pieces and have certain flaws that keep me from selling them, mostly tension issues or measurement inaccuracies, but I am currently making some stuff to sell at fests as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home