Dancing Dove Creations

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Final Yarn ATC

It hasn't been blocked yet, but here it is. I did this last night while waiting for the kids to get ready for bed. I tried several other things before I did this. I tried a yellow sun with rays coming off of it. Didn't work. I just didn't have the right yarn to pull it off. I tried an orange footprint motif that I found on line. Cute, but still not right. I began thinking that the yarn on yarn look was just too much even though I was trying to keep the motifs simple. Then I thought maybe that was the problem...keeping it simple I mean. Maybe I didn't need simple, maybe I needed intricate. But what? As I was sitting there at my art table I suddenly remembered reading an article a year or so ago about "yarn doodling". I couldn't remember how the author did it, so I started playing around and came up with a way of "writing" by slipstitching. I chose the word "snow" because while I was trying to think of something to "write" I was staring vacantly out the patio window at all the snow outside (we got hit pretty good a little less than a week ago and it's still piled in huge drifts outside). I thought snow sounded as good as anything else at the moment..and if I didn't like it I could always rip it out and start over. Goodness knows I have enough practice at that! LOL The sun was setting and the sky was similar to the same blackish blue color of the yarn. I had white thread sitting there. It just seemed right, so I "doodled" the word "snow" and really liked the way it looked. The wool has a flecky, homespun sort of look to it and the stitch pattern was simple, so I thought the obviously handwritten word looked right. I decided to leave it. But it still needed something else, so I whipped out a little thread snowflake (about 2" across") to attach in the top space and voila! It's a little cutesy/country looking for my taste, but that's okay since I'm not keepin' it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home