Dancing Dove Creations

Saturday, March 24, 2007

4x4 Challenge #1


I absolutely ADORE this piece, so I'm posting it first. This was some of the only artsy type stuff that I did during the rough period the last couple of months, but it was still a rather tall order to fill. Definitely one of the most time consuming swaps I've ever done...and I didn't even do anything on the backs of these pieces! This was made for a challenge swap on Art over the Edge. Basically, we were asked to pick a magazine or catalog without knowing what we would be doing with it, then once everyone had picked their magazine/catalog we were given our "challenge" - to make 20 4"x4" collaged pieces using at least one image from the magazine/catalog as the main image on the front of the square. We could decorate the backs in whatever way we wished (which I chose to pass on). When they are all done they will be swapped, bound and returned to the participants as books.
I have a little trouble considering these "my" art work, since they were based on things from a catalog - things already created by other people. So I considered this more of a exercize in creativity than anything, but they were still interesting to work on. The restriction of using images from the catalog I chose was much more difficult than I thought it would be, but it pushed me a bit to think a little more about what I wanted to say with these pre-set images. I decided to try to say things about myself...where I've come from, who I am, where I'm going. That worked great in the beginning, but toward the end I started running out of ways to use the images to say something about me, so I just started creating whatever. Need I say that that was when things started going downhill in the enjoyment department?
Anyway, this was one of the first pieces I created from those images and he just makes me smile every time I look at him. I loved putting a positive spin on the "selective listener" words that I had cut from some magazine or catalog quite some time ago. (I like to cut out things that inspire me when I'm looking at "disposable" reading material and save them for later. It's a great way of recycling and sometimes it actually comes in handy later on!) I think I love this piece so much because it really does say something very positive about me. I am that happy "selective listener" more often than not. I have always been one to listen to my own inner guide more than anything or anyone else. The words that I used so often as a La Leche League leader really do fit the way I live my life: I take what works for me and my family an leave the rest. I don't usually waste a lot of time or energy worrying about what others think and I'm much happier because of that.
BTW, I'll be posting more of these 4x4's, so if anyone sees something they'd like to own in these images, the catalog I used was The Pyramid Collection http://www.pyramidcollection.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home